Creative Soccer Culture

Leyton Orient Host 128-Team FIFA 20 Ultimate Quaran-Team Tournament

Being quarantined for who knows how long with no live sport what-so-ever to tide you over… for many of us it’s the stuff of nightmares. But in the true spirit of the football community, sport finds a way. And so welcome the news that Leyton Orient have created the 128-team Ultimate Quaran-Team FIFA 20 tournament, which will not only serve to entertain, but will also contribute to three very worthy causes.

During this difficult time of fixture postponement, Leyton Orient have emerged as a shining beacon, creating an online FIFA 20 tournament, dubbed the ‘Ultimate Quaran-Team. The initiative is one borne out of the desire to bring clubs together during a time of unprecedented measures surrounding Covid-19, and it has seen huge interest from around the globe, with 128 clubs signing up from 16 different nations, from Premier League champions Man City, through to League 2 – and clubs from around Europe, America, Australia and Africa.

fifa 2-min.jpg

But the tournament has also taken on stronger meaning with Orient also running a fundraising campaign alongside it on JustGiving to raise vital funding for EFL clubs who are going to have massive financial struggles during this time. With no matchday income for the foreseeable future football clubs – along with countless other businesses – are struggling and things will only get worse. 75 percent of money raised from donations will be given to the EFL within 28 days, with the remaining 25 percent to be split between MIND – the EFL’s chosen charity – and COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fundraiser by WHO.

With the full draw completed last night, participating teams will be encouraged to stream their games on platforms such as Twitch, as the tournament looks to crown an Ultimate Quaran-Team champion.

This is very much the brainchild of our innovative Media Team – Luke and Dan,” said Leyton Orient Chief Executive Danny Macklin. “This provides a fantastic opportunity to play a small part in providing some engaging content with football fans at this very difficult time.

Furthermore and perhaps even more importantly it’s a chance to raise much needed funds for EFL clubs and two phenomenal causes.

On behalf of Leyton Orient FC we want to thank everyone for their support and we very much wish everyone well.” 

To help EFL clubs in dire financial circumstances, head to to donate.

Daniel Jones

The Creative Soccer Culture Brief

Sign up to our newsletter and we'll keep you in the loop with everything good going on in the world of Creative Soccer Culture.