SoccerBible Regulars
Connect with SB

Popular Tags
UK Freeview TV

Football Talk > Rooney Escapes Ban - Lucky or Right Decision?

After all the ''will he'' or ''wont he'' talk hot on the lips of football fans up and down the country, the FA have announced that Wayne Rooney will have no action taken against him for his elbow on Wigan midfielder James McCarthy at the weekend.

At a time when refereeing consistency is seemingly criticised every weekend, this decision will only promote arguments against officials and the FA. Mark Clattenberg, who refereed the match between United and Wigan, has since claimed that he saw the incident and dealt with it accordingly. Clattenburg told the FA on Monday that he feels he took the appropriate action, which means the governing body cannot bring charges against the striker.

Television replays apparently showed Rooney swipe McCarthy on the back of his head with an elbow after the midfielder had appeared set to block the Manchester United striker's run.

The announcement will come as a big relief to Manchester United and their fans, who have been waiting to find out if their star-striker would miss some of Untied's biggest games of the season. Any ban would have ruled Rooney out of tomorrow nights match against Chelsea, along with United's meeting with Liverpool and the possible FA Cup quarter-final with Arsenal.

The decision from the FA will no doubt be a controversial one. There has been a lot of debate amongst journalists and fans discussing whether Rooney did deserve a ban and if the right decision was made not to take further action.

With the FA continuing to promote their 'Respect' campaign, should the FA have made an example of Rooney, or was the right decision made not to punish the striker? Let us know your thoughts....

Comments

RossTorres169 said:

1st... wayne is a disgrace

February 28, 2011 4:47 PM

oskarllson said:

He is a lucky stiker

February 28, 2011 4:48 PM

goonerman1990 said:

I've heard McCarthy is getting a 3 match ban for butting rooneys elbow!

February 28, 2011 4:50 PM

prodirectstar123 said:

lucky and the ref is blind

February 28, 2011 4:59 PM

Heejun2232 said:

Ronney is a dirty player for doing that. He should be suspended  4 games for that and fined.

February 28, 2011 5:07 PM

danielkwizy said:

glory glory man united

February 28, 2011 5:31 PM

MCKER11 said:

disgrace.

February 28, 2011 6:05 PM

Destined4Peace said:

Stupid ref

February 28, 2011 6:10 PM

Madridmanfan792 said:

Yeah I think Rooney is a real good strong player and hasn't had the best season to say the least and he can be cheap and have a tempure but he's real lucky to have escaped without a ban

February 28, 2011 6:27 PM

D Keeper said:

Madridmanfan792 is wrong

February 28, 2011 6:43 PM

Destined4Peace said:

@ D Keeper, why do you think that mate? Rather than giving your opinion you have to attack with somebody elses, why?

February 28, 2011 6:53 PM

burnleyfc-9 said:

what a disgrace.i hate him

February 28, 2011 6:55 PM

MrAtha26 said:

if man u are a big club they would fine rooney. disgrace, had someone like gattuso done that in the premier league, different outcome

February 28, 2011 7:07 PM

Shaw said:

this is outrageous then again being that he is a scouser it is second nature really :D jokes.

February 28, 2011 7:11 PM

nikefootball said:

Crazy he should be sacked and im a united fan!

February 28, 2011 7:13 PM

manchesterboyz4eva said:

im a united fan and i think he is sooooo lucky not 2 be banned and fined

February 28, 2011 7:44 PM

Jamie Johnstone said:

Yet again the crazy obvious decision goes man u's way.. becoming far to common! How can the ref see that and do nothing... embarrassing

February 28, 2011 8:10 PM

TG89 said:

Rooney is some Chet worst player

February 28, 2011 8:44 PM

Emil Mawad said:

This is really becoming an issue, the whole not taking "proper" action towards players after such displays of anti-sportive behavior... and this doesn't only happen in England, also in Spain and Italy, where you see NASTA tackles to say the least, and the players go off with either a minor fine or nothing at all...

February 28, 2011 9:25 PM

c0nnaugh said:

cltatenburg was uniteds best sighning  during the transfer window rooney didnt even apoligise i *** hate that scouse *** im outraged

February 28, 2011 9:39 PM

pcm19 said:

phew im glad rooneys not banned but honestly he got lucky.

February 28, 2011 9:46 PM

Red Devils 4 Life said:

Good he's not banned but he should have been this is coming from a united fan too

February 28, 2011 10:42 PM

Madridmanfan792 said:

@D Keeper how am I worng or what am I wrong about? It's my opinion I cant't be wrong...

I do find it funny though how several people say united get away with so much when thats far from the truth and that ref has always in my "opinion" been kinda harsh with them from what I remember, Im not saying what Rooney did is right cause its not but I remember last year in the wolves game someone gave Ferdinand a shot to the face and he pushed or elbowed them back and he got a four match ban with nothing happening to the wolves player....hows that right? And lets be realistic doesn't every team have someone that dishes out cheap shots every game?

February 28, 2011 11:30 PM

trackjunkieS2K said:

Rooney is a disgrace for doing that.

We all know there are dirty/cheap players out there that we play against week in and week out but to come up like that from behind and elbow someone in the head is absolutely ridiculous.

His intent with that action is to cause injury.

Rooney, be ashamed of yourself. You need to take some anger management classes.

Given the publicity this has received, I wouldn't be surprised if someone within the next week or two doesn't cleans his clock. And i wouldn't feel sorry for Rooney, he deserves it.

And i'm not trying to single out Rooney, I feel this way about anyone who plays in this manner. You can put John Terry in that category, Carlos Puyol, Rafael Marquez, Wilson Palacios, Marco Materazzi,  etc...the list goes on an on.

March 1, 2011 1:49 AM

Bluebeam said:

well... let's see what  Clattenburg if it's another player. If he's consistent in his decisions, then it's a very subjective matter. But if it's not...then yeah, Rooney was VERY lucky

March 1, 2011 2:07 AM

TommyGun said:

Completely ridiculous giving the situation.  The ball was no where near and it was clearly pre-meditated and deliberate.  The only ones that could even consider defending this action would be United supporters, which they should even struggle to do so.  Discipline needs to become part of the game again, and allowing punishment for actions clearly with the intent to cause injury to someone is a step in the right direction.  The English FA need to man up, find their balls, and punish everyone along the same scale.  If you can get bans for stamps and other careless actions, why not this?  Should he just punch him next time?  Maybe a roundhouse kick to really drive home the issue?  Disgusting excuse of a footballer, regardless who you support.

March 1, 2011 7:10 AM

Tangerine4Life said:

Sorry, but the Wigan player looked at Rooney's run and then deliberately moved to shoulder barge him out of the way and block his run despite it being well away from the ball. Rooney used his arm to muscle past him and stop him from receiving a shoulder in the face. Prior to that Rooney was just making a run to get up with play. The Wigan player knew exactly what he was doing and if he'd not tried to step in his way there wouldn't have been a problem. And I'm a Blackpool fan by the way

March 1, 2011 10:07 AM

Tangerine4Life said:

And there were examples of similar 'elbows' flying around in the Stoke v WBA game last night, with one poor bloke getting a couple of them in the head in the space of 2 minutes, yet nobody is making a song and dance about them! Maybe get the culprit of those (Carew I think?) banned as well yeah?!

March 1, 2011 10:11 AM

Matthew5 said:

Thank God Rooney didn't get suspended becuase if he did he would miss today's match vs chelsea!!

March 1, 2011 2:24 PM

moriorixs said:

im glad he didnt get suspended. if a player is gettin on my nerves durin a match i always giv him a quick elbow or knee to the head/ribs.. football IS a contact sport

March 2, 2011 12:01 AM

TommyGun said:

Well, looks like karma worked out the kinks today with the Rooney ordeal.  Vidic misses the Liverpool clash + no Rio.  grab the popcorn.gif

March 2, 2011 6:52 AM

Gooner07 said:

I'm sorry but I can see from both sides of the fence. Yes what he did was over the top and unnecessary and to be on the receiving end of it is just uncalled for. But I've been in games where the tensions been high and tempers on breaking point so if someone were to for no reason  OFF THE BALL get in my way in an attempt to make a run I'd shove them out the way. This isn't basketball, NO PICKS! mark you're man but getting in the way of him trying to make a run is just pathetic and outlandish. Do I think the guy  or anyone deserves and elbow. No. Do I think a shove would of sufficed. Yes.  But that's just me. It's hard not to be a little overly physical with some of the guys we play against and still come out on top.

March 2, 2011 8:25 AM

Madridmanfan792 said:

@gooner07 I completely agree what he did is wrong but he's not a disgrace of a player everyone does this it's just not always caught and I agree if someone is trying to set a pick on you while making a run I'm not gonna run around him he's gonna learn that he doesn't need to try that again by just running right through him but not hitting him in the face and I think a kick to the ribs like one guy said is a bit much too, but this is a contact sport and I hate players that are afraid to get hit. And as far as I'm concerned I still like Rooney and he's still a great player who's finally pulling out of his slump but if everyone on here is gonna say that he's a disgrace then you might as well say this about 80% of players cause everyone has done something cheap and have reacted in the moment...it happens to the best

March 2, 2011 10:52 AM

TommyGun said:

@Madrid....No, not everyone elbows players in the face, OFF THE BALL + the ref seeing it and deciding it's not worth a card.  His elbow swung out of his natural motion and it was deliberate to strike him in the face.  Playing physical is fine....but come on, we have to take elbows now too?  I can see it happening in the run of play, going up for a header, even on a corner with a scramble in the box.....but the center circle no where near the ball?  He's shown that he's a horrible tackler(youtube that), has a strong temper(yellow/red cards galore) and scrappy player all around the pitch.  You can't deny his passion or drive but he seriously needs to think of his actions because they do affect his team, and not just his interests.  If that would have been a red, he puts United in a tough spot during his ban.  Same thing could be said for Diaby in the Newcastle game and practically anyone that's received a red card for after the ball antics.  Discipline has to remain part of the game because no one is bigger than the team.  The fact this went unpunished is 70% of the story.  If you do the crime, do the time.  If he got a red, this wouldn't even be a story.  Now it's, "United get unfair treatment" and it'll continue to be whispered thanks to situations like these.

March 2, 2011 3:46 PM

Madridmanfan792 said:

No I do agree it was completely stupid and unnecessary for him to do that it's very cheap I agree that happens going for headers and all that also I know he really does need to work on controlling his temper it's cost him and the team before but I can't deny what kind if player he is he's a hard worker and one of the dew strikers that come back on D but I still think he should have been carded and honestly I dont know if the red was looking so you can't blame him he's following the ball but the FA should have seen it and handed down a ban but we all know they didn't cause they want him to play against Chelsea and Liverpool, cause most everyone wants to see the stars play nobody wants to go to that game and see the reserves play but I think that shouldn't affect their decision to punish someone. But you can't really disagree that nobody else does this crap in all leagues I've seen plenty of players do cheap crap off the ball. But I agree the non ban is shocking

March 3, 2011 6:45 AM

next messi said:

if it waz an arsenal player they wud b kicked out of england.....but united r so lucky

April 20, 2011 1:49 PM